Maximum Home Value Storage Projects Garage
Vehicles are often the last thing you will find in a garage. Everything from boxes of childhood memories to seasonal decorations are often stored inside the garage, often taking over the entire space. While it can be beneficial to use your garage for storage, it is easy to let excess items overtake this space. If you want to maximize the usable storage space in your garage, here are some project ideas to get the most from your space.
Start with Decluttering
Garages can be an “out of sight, out of mind” place for many unneeded items. Stashing old furniture, clothes and other items you most likely will never use again can take up valuable storage space in your garage. The first step to maximizing the space in your garage is ridding it of clutter. Some ideas for repurposing the items stored in your garage:
- Have a garage sale. Why not get some extra cash for your old items? Have a sale and let others clear out your garage for you. Use the money you earn to put toward your garage renovation ideas.
- Donate items to charity. If you do not want to haggle with garage sale customers, give away your old furniture, clothes and household items. Many charities will even pick up items at your home.
- Hire a clean-out service. Remove what you want to keep and hire a clean-out service to remove the rest and start with a clean slate.
Regardless of how you do it, cleaning out the items you do not need will give you room to complete the rest of your garage renovations.
Determine How to Best Use Your Garage Space
Do you just want room to use your garage as it was intended – for storing your vehicles? Maybe you want to make room for a workshop for your hobby or turn the garage into a game room. Once you decide what you want to do with your space, you can begin your remodel project. Some popular options trending right now include:
- Enhanced and organized storage space
- Hobby area
- Spare bedroom or mother-in-law apartment (think AirBnB for extra income)
- Recreational vehicle storage
- Adding additional storage space off the garage
Most garage purposes will still include storage space. Whether you are parking your vehicles inside or using it for a workshop, you will want to explore organization tools for storage.
Enhanced Storage for Your Garage
Guerilla shelving or metal shelves are a popular option for garage storage, but there are many other options available. You want storage that keeps items off the ground – mold and mildew are common issues in garages, especially those without climate control. To enhance your garage storage, consider these tips:
- Never use cardboard boxes – these can mildew. Only use metal or plastic storage containers.
- Consider cabinets versus open shelves. Hiding away your clutter can keep you garage looking neat.
- Invest in wall and ceiling racks. You can store bikes, sport equipment and many other items on racks hanging on wall or the unused space on the ceiling.
Updating your garage for maximum storage and other uses can add value to your home. If your garage is being under-utilized, consider the benefits of tackling a garage renovation project to get more usable space.